Friday, February 7, 2020

Learn the Form, But Seek the Formless

So there I was, swearing by those learned tried-and-true techniques of yester...decade? The methods I was taught to rely upon in college. I sat there on a recent post, and went on and on about a good camera, photo scrap, a light box and an Artograph projector, and how this was the only way to go for a successful rendering.

Then this happened. While it is not my very very best, these results, though deliberately humorous, prove that maybe that great proverb from the movie The Forbidden Kingdom (2008) is a better philosophy, sometimes. How have you not seen this movie? Oh, that’s right. You don’t like Michael Angarano and you always listen to what everybody tells you, right? Oh, so you can think for yourself! Good. Be peoples, not sheeples, folks!

Anyway, here’s the movie quote: “Learn the form, but seek the formless. Hear the soundless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn The Way, then find your own way.” And there’s another quote by an artist that basically centers around this same philosophy, though I forget which artist said it, so there’s little or no point in tracking that quote down because you get the idea! Moving on.

Yup! Sometimes you gotta just throw out the rules and go! Just burn away at that project like a Roman Candle on steroids! Best is done, they say! Here’s to done. I've finally arrived at that place where I actually like what I'm doing.

The top two piggies were an oops. I revised the drawing with tracing paper and Sharpie markers. The rest is just Photoshoppe. Enjoy!

SLiM



No comments:

Post a Comment