Saturday, April 11, 2020

Rock Guy Monster Dude Thing

Here we go again. I don’t know. Maybe it’s because the house’s other occupant binges TV reruns all day (not assigning blame), and I find myself watching more than my share of them. Or maybe it’s due to the elephant in the corner of the room. The one with a mask on his face, and nitrile exam gloves on his...feet. What? It could happen. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s this house itself. Or maybe it’s the city. But whatever the reason, whatever the cause, I find myself back in the past again. Like a broken record, constantly replaying that same fraction of a melody, over and over again.

Anyway, I was looking at previous images, and stumbled upon this humorous little gem. I sculpted this sort of meteorite character out of fluorescent green Super Sculpey on aluminum armature wire, back in Spring or Summer of 2007. My initial purpose was to create a figurine a small child might play with, such as the popular Imaginext line. I was also thinking about something kids could be somewhat rough with, such as wrestling figures. I clearly remember a Galoob line of WWF Thumb-wrestling figures kids could control, by sticking their thumb in the figure’s back! I think I was going for a similar pose. It’s a shame I didn’t work harder on it. I don’t know what possessed me to give it that...immovable arm-spike...thingy.

This week, I did the action figure blister card art in...you guessed it...Adobe Photoshop. You sound surprised. I also created a symmetrical version of the original sculpt in ‘Shop, considering the original was pretty much garbage. Added a loincloth (no, that’s not rock-guy pubic hair), gave it a harness and a nifty stone club, Posterized it, and created the background from scratch.

There are some shades of He-Man here, especially the Blue/Red-Violet sky. I dig it. Hope you do too. Anyhow, thanks for reading, as always. Stay safe and be well!!!! Images below. All images Copyright © Stephen L. Morris 2020

SLiM




No comments:

Post a Comment