Friday, March 20, 2020

Further Expediting the Results

Getting back to the plans for the model, for the tavern I hope one day to build, so I can photograph it, run the pics out to the library for Xeroxes, slip-sheet said Xeroxes and do a (fingers crossed) nice illustration for the scene I’ve written *pant, pant,* I’d have to say I believe I’ve made some improvements. 

Here is the original post, for those who came in late:

https://tckdart.blogspot.com/2020/01/expediting-results.html

In the original version, the texture for the dining area’s floor was way too bright and clashy, so after desperately trying to improve the kitchen’s floor texture, I had the notion to flip the two, and wouldn’t you know it, after a handful of gradients, and playing around with lightness, hue and saturation, I finally got somewhere.

I never liked the original texture for the bar stools, which to me looked like I had simply added a color, so I played around with the original texture (which came from Gettyimages), and tried making it look like green billiard table felt. The problem with this was, when I reduced the text, the finished result looked like a row of peas, lined up at the bar! It wasn’t too hard to turn that green billiard felt into a red-violet felt, the result of course is much more pleasing to ye olde peepers.

The original crates are outta there, replaced by better ones, the staircase width was lessened, I gave it an outer wall texture complete with wood paneling, and a significantly more fitting texture, I think, for the fireplaces. The first texture for the bar was a bit naive.

In Photoshop, I’d went into the Filters menu, selected Render, and had a go at Fibers, thinking the end result would look like ivory. Sadly, I’m still using the same textures for the new bar, tables and chairs, plus kitchen furniture, so eventually I must take my own pictures of finished wood and make them look like tables and so forth. The yellow things are supposed to be candlesticks, though the texture for them is not great. I even added a layer of dirt, spill and drip marks. If you’re wondering what all that is on the left, it is supposed to be windows and a long, narrow bench.

However, the whole build is very static, so what I must do from here is try to give the map the feel of something that is lived in. The stairs also suggest that there is more than one level to the tavern, and the other level in the scene I wrote had stairs going up. Those stairs look like they’re going down, so I think I’ll need to add a second staircase. Eventually, we will see levels one (cellar) and three (storage and living quarters).

Have a gander, won’t ya!!
(Images Below) Thanks for reading. Be well.

SLiM

I've come a long way, and still have a long way to go, but I think I've made some wise choices here. The bottom version is the swanky new and improved tavern, complete with dance floor. LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment