Friday, June 5, 2020

But Isn’t She...Pretty in...Gray??

 At the risk of modesty, this is probably the cutest little female character I’ve ever made. The improved version, that is. The original sketch was...not great. You see, when you draw a figure on 8.5” x 11” or 9” x 12” paper, your figure’s head is going to be fairly small. I found mine was way too small, and ended up with a distorted and unattractive face! I find 3” or larger is an ideal size for a good face, and it always helps to use a larger pad of paper. These days 8.5” x 11” or 9” x 12” is usually something I prefer to sketch on.

So obviously I re-worked the face a lot, though there’s still room for improvement. Sigh. The mouth on the original drawing was horrendous, so I made one from scratch using the mouse in Photoshop. In fact a lot of the new face was done by playing around with the Rectangular Marquee tool in PS. Don’t do it that way!!! Get yourself a Wacom tablet and draw everything the right way, correcting it all by hand. You’ll save yourself a ton of grief. It sucks being separated from my equipment, so I do a lot of making do.

For what it’s worth, at this point, the improved version is decent, minus the spidery line work, likely from the use of so old a scanner and Photoshop version. My computer has a newer version of PS, but won’t work with this house’s antiquated scanner. If I had Adobe Illustrator, I could make improved line work from scratch. But here we are.

Lastly, the texture for the wings is from a royalty free image of frosted glass. I simply created a symmetrical version of it in PS and brightened it up a bit. The finished result is the makings of a cute Fairy girl with a lousy haircut. Some day I shall have to learn how to draw women’s short, spiky, punky hairstyles. She does remind me a little bit of Sadie Sink, the actress that plays Max in Stranger Things. I don’t know why that is.

That’s it for now. If you haven’t done so already, you are more than welcome to follow us on social media. Cre8v Knuckledraggr on Pinterest, #cre8vknuckledraggr on Instagram and The Creative Knuckledragger on Facebook. Thanks again, be safe and have a great weekend! Happy Friday.

SLiM All Images (Below) are Copyright 
© Stephen L. Morris 2020 All Rights Reserved.




No comments:

Post a Comment