Thursday, June 4, 2020

Superhuman Recurrences

Throughout my life, circumstances have placed me in this or that predicament where I was required to be stronger in some way, than I currently was. For example, the lesson I eventually learned from being bullied was that I had to be a tougher, faster, smarter and more confident kid than I was at the time. When I walked around with my shoulders slumped forward, looking like a victim, I looked like an easy target to bullies. That’s why I was bullied. And the lesson I learned from watching my loved ones die or go through life-threatening diseases required a different type of strength. I didn’t always necessarily need this strength for myself, but for those loved ones, and their family.

And every time I encountered these predicaments where I was required to be better than I was, the symbol of the Superman Shield was present in some way. It was in comic books, television, in the movies, in music, in video games, on t-shirts, ball caps, cereal boxes, in a cartoon, or a toy I collected, or a sticker I put on my Trapper Keeper. And the symbol of Superman was always there in some fashion.

Around 2001, I decided I had to have the Superman shield somewhere in my house or on my person at all times. It’s a philosophy I’m grateful to have adopted, though others might see me with a Superman shirt on and think “he likes the movies,” etc. I smile, but choose not to elaborate, because not everybody is going to get you and where you come from.

These days superheroes seem to be everywhere, so it's a small wonder of the difficulties we face on a daily basis. But without going through everything that has happened, I want to challenge each and every one of you to try as hard as you can to be better than you already are. Try your damnedest to be the best version of yourself you can be. And I know you can do it!!!! And when times are tough...when all hell breaks loose...when it seems like the end of days...look for the Superman logo in your life.

Be safe everybody, and thanks for reading! Link below.

No comments:

Post a Comment