Saturday, May 30, 2020

The George Costanza of the Wizard Set (Metaphorically, Anyway)

So I think I may have finally figured out what I want my fantasy characters to look like. I was trained to draw realistically, but I’ve always loved cartooning and animation. More than not, I wish I had taken a couple of animation classes in college. This project is going to be populated with imagery of loose, humorous people, places and things, with just a smidge of realism, instead of how rpg’s are usually done, in my opinion, with a more serious and realistic style. If I do this humor thing, theoretically that should allow for my project to stand out among its copious peers. At least I hope that’s what will happen. This tabletop rpg is going to be something of a satire anyway, so it only stands to reason that the imagery should match the writing! Right? Right! Humorous writing and humorous characters. Sounds fun. Sounds entertaining. *Gulp* I hope.

Anyway, this guy is a sketch for one of the villains in one of my dungeons I’m working on, he’s a grubby, grouchy, weasel, pot-bellied slob of a necromancer whose creations are both hilarious (hopefully) and terrifying (also hopefully). My bungling, ill-tempered sorcerer is like George Costanza from Seinfeld, but with Coke bottle spectacles like Professor Frink (The Simpsons) or Professor Farnsworth (Futurama).

He has a scar on the end of his bulbous beak, bushy black eyebrows, a massive brush on his lip, and a scraggly ebon beard. The pot-bellied wizard’s hat looks like an Alchemist’s tent, and is adorned with what are supposed to be vulgar symbols and the gilded claws of dragons, the largest of which, resting on the top of the hat, is broken. When I’ve drawn the rest of him, his ensemble will be covered stains, crumbs, patches and stitch jobs.

I had a blast sketching this guy! Hope you got a kick out of him as well, because that’s all for this week! Thank you for reading, and be sure to follow us on social media: Cre8v Knuckledraggr on Pinterest, #cre8vknuckledraggr on Instagram and The Creative Knuckledragger on Facebook, as well as here on Blogger. Thanks again! In future we plan to broaden out social media horizons. Bye for now.

SLiM  

All images (below) Copyright © Stephen L. Morris 2020  All Rights Reserved 





No comments:

Post a Comment